Welcome to our blog! We've had lots of people asking us to keep them posted on all the adoption happenings, so I decided to make a blog. Enjoy!

Monday, June 11, 2012

Big updates and answered prayers

For those of you on Facebook, a couple of days ago I asked for prayer for wisdom and discernment concerning our adoption. Thanks so much for all your prayers! Earlier today I updated to let you know I had a couple big updates to share.

So, I won't leave you hanging any more, I finally have time to update. The biggest update is that we've decided to leave our current agency and we've signed on with an independent facilitator that works in the DR Congo. We made this decision for several reasons. About a month ago there was an update from our agency that was disconcerting (if you really want to know I'd be happy to tell you, but no reason to rehash it all on the blog), it just didn't sit well. I'm a member of a Google group of parents that are all adopting from Congo through One World and I read a lot of things that didn't sit well about their experiences (from people that have completed their adoptions and those who are waiting for their referrals still). One of the women on the group that had already completed their adoption mentioned that if she had to do this all over again, she would do it independently through this woman. She used to work at the US Embassy in Congo and has a lot of connections through that. She has a heart for adoptions and is offering her services to parents as a consultant. She will be working with us through our adoption process and connecting us to the right people. 

Another reason we're leaving is the wait time. The wait time for referrals keeps growing. That added to the issues they're having right now and a lack of communication, we decided to switch now before we've invested any more money (because the money we've paid to the agency we're leaving is non-refundable). Because we'll be adopting "independently", it is significantly cheaper, even if you take into account the money we'll lose leaving the agency. 

We signed on with the facilitator today and we will keep everyone updated on how things are progressing.

Speaking of progressing... we have some fundraising updates too!

Our tshirts should be ready by the end of the month, in time for our benefit concert on the 30th. 
I'm really excited about the concert. Chris Hayes and his buddy Vic Rockhill have graciously agreed to play as the headliners. They both went to Berry too, and now Chris works as a foster family consultant. I knew that he was a talented musician, and when I found out where he worked I asked him if he'd be willing to help me out by playing at the benefit concert. What I didn't know was how much he would be helping me out! He's been a HUGE help getting this thing put together. He found another act to play that night and has been so helpful in promoting the event. Thanks Chris!!! If you are local and haven't seen the Facebook event yet, you can see it here. Please share the event and invite your friends! We've got some great performers playing and Pal's has some awesome drinks (coffee, frozen coffee drinks and smoothies). We'll also have our t-shirts for sale, as well as some other Pinterest projects crafts. 

During our week on Give1Save1, we raised over $700, so a BIG thank you to everyone who donated and/or shared on their Facebook page! 

And the big fundraising news is that we've been blessed to receive a grant from our old church's Adoption Fund for $1,000! I am seriously blown away by how awesome our Church family is, even though we don't go to that church any more, I love all of them and love what the church is doing. I really miss it many weeks, but I feel like the church we landed is where we're suppose to be right now. So even though we aren't members of that church family anymore, we're still part of the Church (big C) family and I love that! 

The thermometer to the right -----> has been updated with the grant, Give1Save1 and various other fundraising (if we're friends on FB, you know I've been selling things from around our house that we don't want to sell for garage sale prices... old wedding gifts, furniture, etc.), but the total number hasn't been updated to reflect our big change. We'll have a more definite "final" number when we're matched with a child. 

Thank you so much for all the support we've received so far. As we continue this journey, we will need your continued support, especially your prayers! Pray for us, pray for our little girl, pray for her parents, pray for her caregivers, pray for our new facilitator, pray for funding.... pray, pray, pray. 

And if I haven't said it already....... THANK YOU!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I came across your story by simply putting "Congo Adoption Blog" into google and I'm so glad I did! My name is Molly, and my husband and I are planning on adopting and are going through the daunting task of trying to find an agency. We aren't having much luck and I was hoping to find out more information on "independent" adoptions. I would love to find out more if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know much about independent adoption outside of Congo, but if you're interested in adopting from Congo- here's who we used! https://www.facebook.com/pages/DRC-Adoption-Services/182589098538591

      It's a relatively new service, run by the person who use to issue visas at the US Embassy there. She will work with you and connect you to a facilitator or a lawyer. I'm VERY happy with her so far (and with the facilitator she connected me with).

      You can friend me on FB too if you want :) https://www.facebook.com/saragentry

      Delete